Series V4 Flotect® Vane-Operated Flow Switch
Field Adjustable – Dependable Protection Against Flow Variation or Stopping in Pipelines for Fluids, Gases and Flowing Solids
The Series V4 Flotect® Flow Switches are rugged and reliable, ideal for automatically protecting equipment and pipeline systems against damage from reduction or loss of flow. Time tested in thousands of pipeline installations and processing plants around the world this Series is Weatherproof, designed to meet NEMA 4 and Explosion-proof (listing included in specifications). This series can be used in pipes 1-1/2" (38.10 mm) and up.
- Protects pumps, motors and other equipment against low or no flow
- Controls sequential operation of pumps
- Automatically starts auxiliary pumps and engines
- Stops liquid cooled engines, machines and processing when coolant flow is interrupted
- Shuts down burner when air flow through heating coil fails
- Controls dampers according to flow
Models & Ordering
- Gases or liquids compatible with wetted materials.
- Wetted Materials:
- Vane: 316 SS; Body: Brass or 316 SS standard; Magnet Keeper: 430 SS standard, 316 SS optional; Options: Other materials also available, consult factory (e.g. PVC, Hastelloy, Nickel, Monel, Titanium).
- Temperature Limit:
- -4 to 275°F (-20 to 135°C) standard, MT high temperature option 400°F (205°C) [MT option not UL, CSA, ATEX or IECEx] ATEX and IECEx options, ambient temperature -4 to 163°F (-20 to 73°C); Process temperature -4 to 163°F (-20 to 73°C).
- Pressure Limit:
- Brass body 1000 psig (69 bar), 316 SS body 2000 psig (138 bar), optional 5000 psig (345 bar) available with 316 SS body and SPDT switch only.
- Enclosure Rating:
- Weatherproof and
Explosion-proof. **Listed with UL and
CSA for Class I, Groups C and D;
Class II, Groups E, F, and G.
ATEX CE 2813 EX II 2 G Ex db IB T6
EU-Type Certificate No.: KEMA 03
ATEX Standards: EN 60079-0:2012+A11:2013;EN 60079-1:2014.
IECEx Certified: For Ex db IB T6 Gb - 20°C≤Tamb≤73°C. -20°C≤Process Temp≤73°C. IECEx Certificate of Conformity: IECEx DEK 11.0071. IECEx Standards: IEC 60079-0: 2011; IEC 60079-1: 2014. Zone I. Also FM approved.
- Switch Type:
- SPDT snap switch standard, DPDT snap switch optional.
- Electrical Rating:
- UL, FM, ATEX and IECEx models 10 A @ 125/250 VAC. CSA models: 5 A @ 125/250 VAC; 5 A res., 3 A ind. @ 30 VDC . MV option: 1 A @125 VAC; 1 A res., .5 A ind. @ 30 VDC. MT option: 5 A @ 125/250 VAC. [MT and MV option not UL, CSA, FM or ATEX or IECEx].
- Electrical Connections:
- UL and CSA models: 16 AWG, 6" (152 mm) long. ATEX and IECEx unit: Terminal block.
- Conduit Connection:
- 3/4" female NPT or 19.05 mm standard or M25 with -BSPT option.
- Process Connection:
- 1-1/2" male NPT or 1-1/2" male BSPT or 38.10 mm.
- Mounting Orientation:
- Within 5° of vertical for proper operation. Units for horizontal installation (vertical pipe with up flow) available.
- Set Point Adjustment:
- For universal vane: five vane combinations.
- 4 lb 8 oz (1.9 kg).
- Agency Approvals:
- ATEX, CE, CSA, FM, IECEx, UL**.
- **No housing option (-NH) has no approvals
- Leak proof body machined from bar stock
- Choice of custom vane calibrated for your application, Model V4, or field adjustable multilayer vane, Model V4-2-U (see set point chart)
- Installs directly and easily into pipeline with a threadolet, tee, or flange (see application drawings)
- Can be used in pipes 1-1/2" and up
- Electrical assembly can be easily replaced without removing the unit from installation so that the process does not have to be shut down
- High pressure rating of 1000 psig (69 bar) with the brass body and 2000 psig (138 bar) with the 316 SS body
- Unique magnetically actuated switching design gives superior performance
- Features a free-swinging vane which attracts a magnet within the solid metal switch body, actuating a snap switch by means of a simple lever arm with no bellows, springs, or seals to fail
- -D - DPDT contacts.
- -MV - Gold Plated Contacts, options for dry circuits see electrical rating in specification, no listings or approvals).
- -MT - High Temperature, option rated 400°F (204°C) see electrical rating in specifications, no listings or approvals.
- -TRI - (increasing flow); -TRD - (decreasing flow), Time Delay Relay, option with 2 SPDT contacts, adjustable from 0-1 to 0-31 minutes. (no listings or approvals).
- -316 - 316 SS Magnet Keeper, option to replace standard 430 SS.
- -V - Vertical Up Flow, option for upward flow in vertical pipe.
- -AT - Atex listed construction.
- -IEC, IECEx certified construction.
- -NH, No housing, has no approvals.
|EXAMPLE||V4||SS-2-D-U||2||1||6||EPOXY||B1HC||Series V4-SS-2-D-U-216-EPOXY-B1HC Flotect® Vane Operated Flow Switch, 316 SS body, DPDT, universal vane, NI 200 magnet keeper and vane block material, 316SS vane, epoxy coated housing, with 2" hex type carbon steel bushing.|
|SERIES||V4||Flotect® Vane Operated Flow Switch|
|1ST SET OF OPTIONS
(Select any or all)
|316 SS Body (430 Magnet Keeper)
-2 Style Body
|MAGNET KEEPER VANE
|430 SST (standard)
|316 SST (standard)
|2ND SET OF OPTIONS||AT
1-1/2" Female BSPT Process Connection, M25 Electrical
Epoxy Coated Housing
Full Swing Vane
Heat Treated Body
Stainless Steel Tag
Terminal Block Connector
Time Delay Relay, Decreasing Flow
Time Delay Relay, Increasing Flow
Vertical Up Flow
TEES/TEES & BUSHINGS
|2" Flush Type Carbon Steel Bushing
2" Hex Type Carbon Steel Bushing
2" Hex Type Brass Bushing
2" Hex Type 304SS Bushing
2" Hex Type 316SS Bushing
2-1/2" Flush Type Carbon Steel Bushing
2-1/2" Flush Type 304SS Bushing
2-1/2" Hex Type Carbon Steel Bushing
2-1/2" Hex Type 316SS Bushing
2-1/2" Hex Type Brass Bushing
4" Hex Type 316SS Bushing
2" Hastelloy B 150# Flange
2" Carbon Steel 150# Flange
2" Carbon Steel 300# Flange
2" Carbon Steel 600# Flange
2" Carbon Steel 900# Flange
2" Hastelloy C 150# Flange
2" Monel 150# Flange
2" 316SS 150# Flange
2" 316SS 300# Flange
2" 316SS 600# Flange
2" 316SS 900# Flange
2-1/2" Carbon Steel 150# Flange
2-1/2" Carbon Steel 300# Flange
2-1/2" 316SS 150# Flange
3" Carbon Steel 150# Flange
3" Carbon Steel 300# Flange
3" Carbon Steel 900# Flange
3" 316SS 150# Flange
3" 316SS 300# Flange
4" Carbon Steel 150# Flange
4" Carbon Steel 300# Flange
4" 316SS 150# Flange
1-1/2" Brass 125# Tee
1-1/2" Brass 250# Tee
1-1/2" 316SS 150# Tee
1-1/2" PVC Sch 80 Tee
1-1/2" CPVC Sch 80 Tee
2" Brass 125# Tee & Bushing
2" Brass 250# Tee & Bushing
2" Carbon Steel 2000# Tee & Bushing
2" 316SS Tee & Bushing
2" PVC Sch 80 Tee & Bushing
2" CPVC Sch 80 Tee & Bushing
3" Brass 125# Tee & Bushing
3" PVC Sch 80 Tee & Bushing
3" CPVC Sch 80 Tee & Bushing
Product Data Sheet
- Why is the method of mounting a V4 of concern?
- The vane and magnet keeper assembly near the hinge pin are very close to the mounting threads. Combined with the fact that pipe fittings are available in many variations, this produces a possibility that the customer will mount the switch in a fitting that prevents the vane from swinging. To make things worse, there is usually no way the customer can tell that this has happened. Mounting in a threaded branch connection avoids this clearance problem.
- How is "deadband" defined as related to the V4 switch?
- Deadband is the difference between the switch actuation flow and switch deactuation flow; in general, V4 flow switches have a 45% deadband meaning deactuation occurs at approximately 55% of actuation flow.
- What precautions should be taken when installing a V4 switch in an extremely high flow application?
- Installation with a 2 1/2" threaded branch connection is recommended to allow the vane to swing out almost parallel to the flow to reduce stress on the vane and pressure drop in the system.
- What does actuation and de-actuation mean?
- Actuation means that the flow rate has reached a point where the microswitch trips or the contacts of the microswitch change state. De-actuation means that the flow rate has decreased to a point where the microswitch returns to its normal state.
- What material is used as a seal between the process fluid and the electrical portion of the switch?
- The body material; as there is no separate "seal" since the body is machined from solid stock and the switch is magnetically actuated.
- Can a V4 switch be installed in a vertical run of pipe?
- Yes, but not the standard model. Vertical pipe installations must be specified on the order and require a special spring loaded vane. Only for use in vertical up-flow applications. Please see option -V in online configurator.
- On your Flow Switches, which model has a Form C type contact
- Form C contact is a SPDT snap switch. Many of Dwyer’s flow switches have SPDT snap switches. The V4, V6, V7, FS-2, and V8 are some of them.
- I have a model V4 flow switch the Micro switch failed I replaced it. I reinstalled and couldn’t accurate switch. Attempted to set as sensitive as possible I couldn’t get it to actuate, I replaced the magnet with one from another unit it works fine! Where can I order a replacement magnet?
- Unfortunately, we do not sell the replacement magnet. It would be best to return the unit to the factory for repair.
Photo DownloadsYou must be logged in to view this content.
Click here to login to your account.